This year we’ve opted to stay put in Jozi and travel in the first part of the year when things aren’t as hectic at all the usual holiday spots. ‘Staying put’ doesn’t mean I want us to be bored to death, so I’ve rounded up a list of fabulous kid-centric activities happening in and around Jozi this holiday, just for you! Save this for those moments when you’ve heard ‘Mom, let’s go somewhere’ for the hundredth time. Check out the list of family activities, fun ideas and events to attend in and around Jozi this holiday season. Scroll to the bottom for a fabulous ticket giveaway announcement!
- The Beach, Mall of Africa – runs from 8th – 23rd December with a choice of two sessions per day: 09h00 till 13h00 or 14h00 till 18h00 R 50.00 per person, per session (children under 2 years of age can play for free). Mall of Africa is bringing the beach to Jozi by transforming Waterfall Park into a summer playground with activities that children of all ages can enjoy. Don’t forget to bring your swimming costume, towel and plenty of sunscreen! Activities on the day: waterslides, paddleboats, wave board, train rides and music! We went last year and the kids had such a ball we couldn’t tear them away from the fun!
- Ster-Kinekor Kids Cinema, Fourways Mall – we visited the fantastic new Kids Cinema yesterday – it’s just opened on the 23rd November! Situated opposite Ocean Basket, you’re going to have a hard time convincing the kids to go to any other cinema after visiting this one! Brightly coloured chairs and a super slide that goes from the top row of seating all the way down to the floor, ending into a massive ball pit, the kids get to enjoy a little fun before the movie starts! For more information on movie times etc. click here.
- GOG Kids, Harties – another one newly opened, in fact we’ll only be trying it out for the first time this weekend, this is the perfect day trip! Situated in the Chameleon Village precinct, we’re in for a world of fun. From picnic areas, to outdoor activities, giant inflatables for the kids to enjoy and endless water adventures (this is what has my kids most excited!). You can contact them on 071 394 7437 or look on gog.co.za for updates on Harties prices and more.
- Christmas Lights, Melrose Arch – one of my favourite places to visit at this time of the year. No lengthy lines and queues and the lights are quite something to behold. Head to the High Street, you won’t be able to miss them.
- Ballet at the Piazza, Melrose Arch – Another reason to visit Melrose Arch, on Saturday 8th December at 18h30, dancers from the National School of Arts’ Dance Department will perform scenes from popular ballets.
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, Kromdraai – head to this gorgeous reserve a mere 30-odd minutes from Randburg, and see if you can spot the gorgeous baby girl Rhino, the newest addition to the family! Have a bite to eat at the Thatch Café, feed the giraffes from the Neck & Deck Restaurant, go for a game drive or take the kids for a ride at X-Stream Bike Park – click on rhinolion.co.za for times, pricing and more.
- Santa Live from the North Pole, Fourways Mall – a first for the Mall (and us!), Oli and Sophie got to say hi to Santa yesterday via video call to Santa in his office in the North Pole and get their Christmas gift requests in! Santa is available for a quick Skype call from 1st – 24th December, outside the Dis-Chem in the Mall – weekdays from 12h00 – 14h00 and weekends from 10h00 – 12h00, with a couple of random Christmas gifts being given out per day, how exciting?!
- Billions Bubbles Show, Times Square Sun Arena – getting set to welcome international sensation and bubble scientist, Fan Yang (who’s made the Guinness Book of Records 16 times!), and several family members, the Sun Arena is sure to wow audiences of all ages with this sensational show, coming to South Africa for the first time! The show involves spectacular lighting displays, lasers, and of course bubbles (thousands of tiny bubbles, big bubbles, and mega bubbles) with a fantastic play area called the Bubble Wubble Kids’ Play Area, this is a wonderful family morning or afternoon out. The first show kicks off on the 20th December and runs until 7th January 2019. Tickets are now on sale at webtickets.co.za or contact email@example.com for more information!
- Magnum Pleasure Store, Sandton City – the world-famous concept store has opened in Sandton City already and will be open until January 2019. The store offers fans an exclusive opportunity to prepare and craft personalised Magnum moments, with the Magnum dipping bar being a highlight of the store. Customise your vanilla ice cream with a selection of dripping Magnum melted chocolate to be topped with a selection (not limited to) Popping Candy, Rose Petals, Praline, chocolate beads and more! Situated at Entrance 4, open daily Monday – Saturday 09h00 – 20h00 and Sunday/Public Holidays from 09h00 – 18h00. The ‘Make my Magnum’ ice creams are sold for R45.00 each.
- Cradlestone Mall, Krugersdorp – the mall has so much to offer families and children this year, from The Adventure Park, Wild World of Adventures and In The Wild with entrance ranging from free to R30 per child, check out the wonderful fun to be had!
- Snow White, Joburg Theatre – Growing up, watching a pantomime with my cousins and grandparents was a Christmas ritual – Janice Honeyman’s Snow White has received the most phenomenal reviews so far. Running until December 23rd, go to joburgtheatre.com for tickets and more information.
- A Christmas Carol, Montecasino – ‘Bah, Humbug!’ – be entertained by Ebenezer Scrooge at Pieter Toerien’s upstairs Studio Theatre with this Christmas Classic. The show runs until 14th January 2019. Tickets range from R130.00 – R165.00 per person – tickets available on Computicket, now.
- Christmas Village, Montecasino – running from 12th – 17th December, this popular Christmas Village is back for a 5th year! This magical European-style Christmas Market features over 60 exhibitors showcasing all things Christmas. Entry fee is R10.00 with all the proceeds going to the 947 Christmas Wish List, and kids under 12 and pensioners enter free of charge.
- Christmas Night Markets, Fourways Farmers Market – this year the Fourways Farmers Market will be hosting several Night Markets on 7th & 9th December and 14th & 15th This will run from 15h30 – 22h30 and will showcase authentic Christmas gifts, crafts and delectable cuisines. There will be live musicians singing your favourite Christmas Carols, with Santa popping in for a special appearance. Entrance is R30.00 and kids and pensioners enter for free, even pets are welcome!
- Cinderella, Montecasino – this exquisite production of Cinderella is put on by the Joburg Ballet and will be on at The Teatro from 14th – 23rd Tickets available on Computicket now!
- Goggas, National Children’s Theatre – a heart-warming tale of friendship, loyalty and adventure is depicted in this award-winning play on at the National Children’s Theatre stage. Running from 6th – 23rd December 2018, tickets range from R100.00 – R120.00 and are available on http://nationalchildrenstheatre.org.za
- Santa’s Village, Clearwater Mall – fantastic free kiddies holiday activities will run from 8th – 23rd Bring the kids through for a day filled with exciting activities free of charge! This village has everything and more! From sand art, colouring in, LEGO, play dough, big play blocks to visits from characters such as Hello Kitty, The Minions, Cinderella & Prince Charming, Beauty and the Beast, Spiderman, Superman, the Snow Sisters, Stilt Walkers and Kallie the Clown who is sure to keep the kids laughing with his hilarious act and of course what’s a village without a visit from our therapy dogs that everyone can interact with! Please contact them on (011) 288 – 5260 for more info on character visit times and dates. Times: 8th – 14th December: 09h00 – 17h00, 15 – 23 December: 09h00 – 21h00 A village for all ages! See you there! Santa will be available for photos in front of Edgars on the Lower Level from 10h00 – 13:00 and 14:00 – 18:00 daily! What’s Christmas without a picture with Santa?
- Christmas Light House, Randpark Ridge – if you live in the Randburg area, you simply have to visit the well-known Christmas Light House at 14 Appelblaar Ave. There will be Carols on the 15th December at 19h30 with proceeds going to #WendiesArmy fund. There will be donation bins at the house should you choose to donate pet food, clothes or shoes, as well as a cash donation box available at the carols. All donations are totally voluntary and there is no charge to view the house. The lights will be on every night from 19h00 – 00h00 and will be on until 1st January 2019. Go find more details on their Facebook page here.
Let’s have a little Festive Season GIVEAWAY with Billions Bubbles!
Who wants to win a set of FOUR tickets to the world famous Billions Bubbles show? All you have to do is head over to the December Staycation post on the Mommalikeme Facebook page and tell me who the famous bubble scientist is (hint, the name is on number 8 of this list above!) – how simple? For an additional entry, do the same on the Mommalikeme Instagram page and tag as many friends as you’d like to share the Christmas joy! Standard T’s and C’s apply – open to all residents of South Africa. Tickets are not refundable for cash and cannot be exchanged, travel and parking to and from the show is for your own account. The winner will be announced on the Mommalikeme Facebook page on Monday 10th December 2018.
For a comprehensive list of other things to do with the kids mostly all year round, click here.