Easter is just a few days away, and for the little kids, that means only one thing – the Easter egg hunt AND chocolate! This year I’ve decided to limit the chocolatey finds and switch some of them out with Easter-inspired goodies. Cute bunny tees, books & fun toys replacing some of the sugar-loaded loot. Oli’s lost two milk teeth already, with the top one beginning to wobble, and now that he’s busy cutting his first adult molars – it means we need to be even more pedantic when it comes to tooth care and limiting sugar intake without compromising their oral health.
Philips South Africa has put together a few tips and tricks on how to survive and enjoy the holiday, while still while maintaining your little ones’ oral health:
- Once the fun of the Easter egg hunt is completed, monitor their intake of sweet treats. Limit treats to after mealtimes to ensure their appetite is not ruined before a nutritious meal.
- Make sure that you only give your kids small amounts of sweet treats at a time – they don’t need to eat everything all in one day.
- Water must be your drink of choice, especially after every sweet treat.
- Be creative, sneak in some healthy sweet treats for the kids throughout the day to balance out the good and the bad. For example, make fruit sticks shaped like bunnies covered in sprinkles, remember kids eat with their eyes too.
- At least an hour or two before bedtime make sure they stop eating all sweet treats. This will make bed time a little bit easier – use those hours to burn out their extra energy.
- Make sure you stick to their daily teeth brushing routine of twice a day, in the morning and before bed.
- If your kids are 6 years and older alcohol-free mouthwash can be used after they have brushed their teeth as it flushes out any additional bacteria.
Oli was sent the Philips Sonicare for Kids toothbrush to review, and was immediately drawn to the bright and funky interchangeable stickers that he could swop at every whim. With a couple of permanent teeth already, we’ve been stressing the importance of proper oral care in our home – it’s even simpler now with a proper toothbrush! It has some cool features such as the KidTimer which helps to increase brushing time awareness and setting a proper routine, and the KidPacer, which delivers a fun and engaging musical tone that encourages you to brush your entire mouth effectively for the recommended 2 minutes. There’s now no need to ask Oli, repeatedly, to come and brush his teeth, with the Sonicare for Kids, brushing his teeth has become fun, and he’s now a willing participant!
Oli used to cringe at having to brush his teeth with a manual toothbrush, but that’s now a thing of the past. He holds the Sonicare much more steadily in his hand and doesn’t make as much of a mess trying to apply the toothpaste whilst its lying flat on the basin. The lower power mode is also more soothing for him because he’s less afraid of losing his wobbly milk teeth, and he’ll happily brush his teeth for the full 2 minutes until he has heard his toothbrush play its final tone!
This Philips Sonicare for kids toothbrush offers maximum plaque removal, using sonic technology that gently and effectively reaches deep between the teeth and along the gum-line, it also has a multi grip design for kids with a rubberised brush head that is designed to protect young teeth, making it the best toothbrush to have for kids! This fun toothbrush also has an anti-roll shape which offers a sturdy handle design that allows kids to store upright as well as apply toothpaste while the toothbrush is lying flat and 2 kid-friendly power modes – a low mode for younger children and high mode for older kids – delivering a gentle and effective clean. The added benefits of this toothbrush is that it removes 75% more plaque than a children’s manual toothbrush with its dynamic cleaning action that drives fluid between teeth. The Sonicare for Kids toothbrush is preferred by dental professionals for their own children making the toothbrush a must have!
Oli is loving his toothbrush so much, he even wants to give one away! Here’s how you can enter to win one for your child (*for kids aged 4 and older!) –
Step 1: Tag a friend on the Facebook post who knows the pain of getting their kids to brush their teeth and,
Step 2: Leave a comment on this blog post for an extra entry – just tell me who you want to win one for!
T’s & C’s apply. Open to all residents of South Africa. Winner will be announced on the Mommalikeme Facebook page on Tuesday 3rd of April.
So go on, make sure the holiday is special and memorable for your little one that goes beyond planning an incredible Easter egg hunt!
In partnership with Philips Oral Health