I decided to do this gift guide after throwing a shower for my bestie and having so many people ask what to bring as a gift. What a preggie Momma needs varies from one to the next – you might have only got clothing etc. so far and still need all the essentials, or you’d rather a big-ticket item and have all you guest contribute towards that. Everyone is different, that’s why this is merely a guide to some of the amazing baby-centred products out there, and while you at it, you could win one of the essentials – a Tommee Tippee Sangenic Nappy Bin with 6 refill cassettes!
So, since this gift guide involves a giveaway from one of my favourite baby companies, a brand that I used with my own children, number one is obvious:
- Tommee Tippee Sangenic Simplee Starter Kit in Grey – this fabulous invention seals up smells and saves you a hundred trips to the bin always comes with a set of 6 Simplee refill cassettes – scroll down to the bottom for the giveaway! R549 – Takealot – https://www.takealot.com/tommee-tippee-sangenic-simplee-starter-kit-grey/PLID53766308
- This isn’t the first time I’ve coveted a nappy bag from this brand, and I don’t even have the need for one, personally, but how absolutely gorgeous is this Jeankelly Vanilla Blonde Leather Shopper with Back Zip?! I love that it doesn’t even look remotely like a nappy bag, and you could use it beyond the baby years! Jeankelly – R2550 – https://jeankelly.co.za/product/jeankelly-vanilla-blonde-leather-shopper-with-back-zip/
- Something that I would highly recommend as a gift – a hooded towel! How cute is this one from Bebejou – that comes in many different colours and styles – at Kids Living?! Kids Living – R259 – https://kidsliving.co.za/products/hoodedtowelbathcape?variant=8752951951420
- Another goodie from Kids Living – I love this Octopus Teether from Mombella! This teething toy is made from food-grade silicone and is freezer and dishwasher safe, as well as BPA and lead free. The 8 tentacles of the octopus makes it easy for babies to grab and hold on to. Something I love about it, is that there is nowhere for saliva to get into and mould like another teether on the market. Available in 4 colours. Kids Living – R259 – https://kidsliving.co.za/products/mombellaoctopus
- Who says only Baby can get pampered? The Udderly Gorgeous Range from Cowshed has been designed especially for new and expectant mothers in mind – a gorgeous pamper for Momma. Kids Emporium – R620 – https://www.kidsemporium.co.za/product/mother-to-be-duo/
- One of my favourite things I received at my first baby shower was this book – I started to read to Oli from a baby, you can never start too young, and a book makes the most beautiful gift – Oh, Baby, The Places you’ll go! By Dr Seuss. Takealot – R129 – https://www.takealot.com/oh-baby-the-places-you-ll-go/PLID36117528
- Whilst not an essential, a very helpful sleeping pod is something I wish I had with my two – I love the look (and sound, from reviews) of the NoolaPod – the ultimate bed for your baby ages 0-18months old. Kids Emporium – R1495 – https://www.kidsemporium.co.za/product/noola-baby-pod-maxi-gold/
- If you’re having a little girl, how cute is this Pink and White Chevron print headband from Rosiebee? I’m absolutely obsessed with their knot headbands, and they’re super soft to wear – I even have one! Rosibee – R80 – https://rosiebee.co.za/product/pink-chevron-headband/
- Along with pregnancy and a post-partum body come those glorious stripes we, as Mother’s, often earn – stretch marks. Optiphi have come up with a solution for this – Scar Therapy – and what better gift to give an expectant Mother? Optiphi – R850 – https://www.optiphi.com/default/products/body-curve/scar-therapy
- I used Tommee Tippee bottles with each of my babies, and the handiest thing to make bottle sterilising that much easier was the Essentials Microwave Sterilizer I had. Takealot – on sale right now at R219 – https://www.takealot.com/tommee-tippee-essentials-microwave-sterilizer/PLID44497658
- A must have for every Momma – loads and loads of swaddle cloths – for feeding, nap time and cleaning up. I love this Jollein pack of 6! Kids Living – R289 – https://kidsliving.co.za/collections/feeding-bibs-burp-cloths/products/jolswaddle6pack?variant=32209575954
- Beanies are the perfect way to keep little heads cosy. I love the Slouchy Beanies from Tiny Tribe Kids! Tiny Tribe Kids – R85 – https://tinytribekids.com/collections/accessories/products/slouchy-beanie
- Think beyond the newborn phase (a lot of people don’t) – give a gift to help once it’s time to start solids, the perfect sectioned plate, available in a few colours, with a non-slip base from b.box! Kids Emporium – R239 – https://www.kidsemporium.co.za/product/b-box-plate/
- One of the most essential gifts I received at both showers were sets of Plastic Hangers. Mr Price Home – R79 – https://www.mrphome.com/en_za/shop/kids-baby/shop-baby/baby-essentials-play-and-gifting?p=2-
- I absolutely adore the rebrand of the Johnson’s Baby range, and I adore the subtle scent of the Bedtime Baby Bath Wash – with soothing NaturalCalm™ essences. Dis-Chem – R44.95 – https://www.dischem.co.za/catalog/product/view/id/112295/s/johnson-s-baby-bath-wash-300ml-bedtime/
- Something I bought myself when pregnant with Oli, and a gift I like to give, was the Tommee Tippee Healthcare and Grooming Kit – it has all the essentials needed, from nail care, to hairbrush, and thermometer. Takealot – R329 – https://www.takealot.com/tommee-tippee-healthcare-and-grooming-kit/PLID12076077
- Don’t ever discount thinking of giving the gift of a voucher to a Momma. They are so helpful and appreciated, and anything from nappies, to wipes or dummies and bath products can be bought! Dis-Chem – https://www.dischem.co.za/shop-by-department/loyalty-and-gift-cards
- Another item I swore by, with both of my kids, was a Fisher Price bouncer chair – I even gave one to my bestie when I found out she was pregnant with her first! I love the look of the Fisher Price Rainforest Friends Comfort Curve Bouncer. Takealot – R999 – https://www.takealot.com/fisher-price-rainforest-friends-comfort-curve-bouncer/PLID46644384?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw34_tXbr6qSci_cVWQ55dydaYFOR7VEvym0RpERDhMzesV4HeUr8WuLcaApuZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
- I just love the black and white rubber mat from Kidko – perfect for a new crawler! Kidco – R799 – https://www.kidko.co.za/product-page/black-white
- How can you resist the Sleeveless Grey Bear Hoodie from Kapas Baby? The perfect unisex gift! Kapas Baby – on sale at R160 – https://www.kapasbaby.com/collections/unisex/products/sleeveless-hoodie-grey
WIN a Tommee Tippee Sangenic Simplee Starter Kit in Grey (with 6 cassettes). Follow these steps:
- Comment on the Mommalikeme Facebook and/or Instagram post telling me what colour the Starter Kit is that you can win (mandatory to enter).
- Tag a Momma friend who could benefit from this gift and might like to enter too (mandatory to enter).
- Ensure you have liked and are following Mommalikeme and Tommee Tippee SA on Facebook and/or on Instagram (optional).
*Standard T’s & C’s apply. Open to SA residents only. Winner will be announced on the Mommalikeme Facebook page on Monday 27 May 2019.